Wednesday, April 21, 2020 deadline for Social Security Beneficiaries with Children: The CARES Act provides economic impact payments of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each qualifying child. We've added information on these payments. Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Eligible Social Security (including SSDI and SSI), Veterans Administration, and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries who don’t normally file taxes will automatically receive payments of $1,200.
- Any of these beneficiaries who have qualifying children under age 17 and did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes must use the "Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info" tool on IRS.gov to claim the $500 payment per child.
- SSA retirement, SSA survivor, SSDI, and RRB beneficiaries must submit this information by noon ET Wednesday, April 22.
- For those who miss the April 22 deadline, their automatic payment will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.
- SSI and VA beneficiaries have some additional time but should enter this information as soon as possible.
Economic impact payments will not be counted as income for SSI recipients, and the payments are excluded from resources for 12 months.