SEK AT takes the challenge
Southeast Kansas Assistive Technology takes the ALS ice bucket challenge.
Nation’s 911 System inching towards greater accessibility
A new federal rule is paving the way for 911 services to become more accessible for people with disabilities.
The Federal Communications Commission will require all wireless carriers and certain other applications that allow users to send text messages to facilitate text-to-911 services by the end of the year under a rule adopted earlier this month.
The offering is considered to be of particular benefit for those who are nonverbal or have hearing disabilities as well as people with speech and other communication difficulties.
Obama signs Autism Act Renewal
With little fanfare, President Barack Obama signed a reauthorization of the nation’s primary autism legislation that includes more than a billion dollars in federal funding for the developmental disorder.
Signed on Friday, the law calls for $260 million annually through 2019 for autism research, prevalence tracking, screening, professional training and other initiatives.
Education Advocate Training coming to Pittsburg Nov. 18
Nearly 800 children in DCF or JJA custody are in need of someone to represent them in special education matters. This free training is for birth parents, resource parents, DCF contracted agency workers, and volunteers.
Current education advocates would also benefit from this training as the reauthorized law will be presented. Proof of attendance and 5.5 hours of continuing education credit is available for case managers and resource parents.
This training is provided by Families Together, Inc. through a contract with the Kansas State Department of Education. (Individuals, including resource parents, who are employed by a school district or cooperative that provides educational services may not serve as education advocates for children receiving services in that district. DCF workers are not eligible to serve.)
HELP WANTED: Benefits/SNAP Coordinator
Job Description—The Independent Living Center
Reports to: Core Services Manager
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
The Benefits/SNAP Coordinator will provide information about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and application assistance to families with special consideration for senior citizens and individuals with disabilities. Additionally, the Benefits/SNAP Coordinator is responsible for finding innovative ways to increase the capacity of SNAP outreach among partner agencies. This position is grant-based and is available while funding is available.
Duties and Responsibilities:
2. Provide information and referral help to individuals and families, program staff and volunteers based upon a comprehensive understanding of food resources and other available benefits. Responsible for remaining up-to-date with changes in SNAP and sharing this knowledge with local partners.
3. Advocate reducing barriers that currently hinder SNAP enrollment.
4. Reporting functions include:
5. Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
The Sheila Miller MS Bike Team is in training!
It's that time of year, once again!
Vince, Sharon, John and the rest of the Sheila Miller MS Bike Team 2014 are training for the Kansas City to Lawrence MS Bike Ride.
We hope to raise $20,000 to fund research to find a cure for MS, so future young mothers don't have to suffer like Sheila did.
- Protecting America’s Wounded Warriors -- Not a choice, an obligation
- Congratulations to Jon Greenfeather & Karen Baker -- iPad winners
- HS students with disabilities could qualify for Career Tech Education program
- HCBS? This Matters to You!
- Joint statement from the Departments of Education and Health & Human Services regarding the WIOA
- Senate HELP Committee conducting survey of persons with disabilities
- From NCIL: WIOA overwhelmingly passes House, moves to President’s desk for signature!
- Statement by the President on Wednesday's passage of the WIOA
- Hiring: Part-time Sports Broadcast Studio Producer
- Hiring: Part-time Sports Broadcast Studio Producer
- WANTED: Home Health Aide
- Will a Kansas city be first in the Midwest to adopt modern wheelchair access icon?
- An important message from NCIL's Lou Ann Kibbee
- Fishing Has No Boundaries 2014 is a success
- Enhanced Vision giving away a new portable electronic magnifier
- KYEA now accepting nominations for Justin Cosco Scholarship Award
- From ADAPT: Call Labor Secretary regarding Companionship Exemption regulations
- CMS initiative helps people make the most of their new health coverage
- SKIL receives $5000 Quality of Life grant from Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
- Living with no boundaries: Meet Brendan
- Power Chair for Sale
- Kansas Housing Resources Corporation launches webpage of available resources
- A Memorial Day 2014 message
- From NCIL: House, Senate reach deal on workforce development & the future of America’s independent living program
- From NCIL: Bipartisan, bicameral group announces deal to improve american workforce development system
- CMS makes improvements to Medicare drug and health plans
- Disability employment focus group looking for participants
- Nominate deserving youth with disabilities for the Diana Vietz Memorial Award
- 2014 National Disability Employment Awareness Month Theme Announced
- From KACIL: Known HCBS Waiting List numbers and dates
- KACIL's Cooper, customers testify before joint HCBS KanCare oversight committee
- Ms. Wheelchair Kansas featured on newspaper's website
- NCIL Action Alert: Tell Congress to stop Medicare reform mistakes that impede access to wheelchair repairs!
- Resource Central - The Spirit of Marty Wooten with Shari Coatney
- Tenth Annual SEK Fishing Has No Boundaries event slated for June 21
- From NCIL: Mental health rights in danger: action needed!
- President Obama issues proclamation for World Autism Awareness Day -- April 2
- SKIL founder Marty Wooten passes
- Special Enrollment Periods in the Marketplace
- Resource Central - Updates with Shari
- Autism bill to full Kansas Senate
- Resource Central - Daren Sorrick Talks Progress
- 2014 SACK Conference set for June 27-29 in Topeka
- "PD Waiting List Verification Form" from the State of Kansas
- March 13 - Bingo at the CRO
- CRO Person of the month Barbra Frazier
- Information about the Underserved List
- Social Security to expedite decisions on disability claims filed by veterans
- NCIL Action Alert: Invite Your Members of Congress to the 2014 NCIL Congressional Briefing & Reception on Capitol Hill!
- CRO of HOPE Chili Cook-off winner announced