CRO Person of the month Barbra Frazier
Written by: Barbara Frazier, Stroke Survivor:
As a caregiver for someone who has had a stroke, you have a lot to do and suggestions for getting organized, saving time and helping the person you love and yourself through this challenging time.
This is a true story from a stroke patient. I can walk and get back and forth with minimal assistance. Sometimes I get times confused and friends help me get things straightened out in my brain. And I get dates confused about Dr. appointments and other appointments.
Clothing is hard to get on and sometimes you have to buy bigger clothes to be able to get clothes on the affected arm. Pants may have to be elastic waist to be able to fasten the clothes. The stroke patient gets easily frustrated when the patient can’t put their pants or coat and other clothing on at times.
Information about the Underserved List
The “underserved” list is composed of those individuals who are receiving HCBS services, but at some time in the past, they requested an additional service or additional units to meet their needs. They were then added to BASIS as needing services, which was used to create a waiting list that consists of those who requested an additional service.
The waiting list is composed of those individuals who are not receiving any HCBS services, but they may be receiving targeted case management, which is a State Plan service. Those individuals are considered “unserved” and are waiting for access to HCBS-IDD services. This process does not include those who are still waiting for access to HCBS-IDD services.
Social Security to expedite decisions on disability claims filed by veterans
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has announced a new initiative to speed up the processing of disability claims filed by Veterans who have a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation rating of 100% Permanent & Total.
These applications will be treated as high priority and decisions will be expedited similar to the way that SSA now handles disability claims from Wounded Warriors. SSA plans to begin the new process next month.
NCIL Action Alert: Invite Your Members of Congress to the 2014 NCIL Congressional Briefing & Reception on Capitol Hill!
It is time for the annual NCIL Congressional Briefing & Reception on Capitol Hill!
We are asking for your help to get your member of Congress to attend this briefing. NCIL, as the national advocate for CILs, SILCs, and the Independent Living philosophy, has the sole mission of being your voice in Washington and representing your interests.
NCIL conducts this annual briefing in order to educate members of Congress on a number of relevant policy initiatives that aim to advance disability rights and the ability of Americans to live more independently.
CRO of HOPE Chili Cook-off winner announced
The winning entry in the CRO of HOPE Chili Cook-Off held Sat., Feb. 8 at the Parsons "Cool Collectibles" Collectors Show has been announced by the event organizers.
The beef chili entered by the K-LOAN team was judged to be the winning entry and won the $35 first-place award.
The chili entries were tasted and judged by a three person panel that included Cpl. Christopher Cummins of the Parsons Police Department, Bradley “Blue” Blake of KLKC radio and Lyle “Catfish” Catron, a collector at the "Cool Collectibles" show from Nevada, Mo.
- Learn about Indpendent Living History
- Kansas Youth Leadership Forum extends application deadline to Feb. 21
- GI Bill Online Complaint System established
- SKIL mourns the loss of Jonas, advocate for persons with disabilities
- Resource Central - Rob Jones Bikes Across America
- KanCare primed for Feb. 1 implementation of I/DD services
- Social Security expands list of conditions qualifying for expedited processing
- Wanted: A Housing Advocate / Case Manager
- Together We Can Learn Conference scheduled for Wichita March 1
- Resource Central - Former State Rep. Bob Grant
- Envision to participate in study about paper money
- A life-changing decision
- HELP WANTED: Personal Care Attendants
- HELP WANTED: Person to work at AT Site
- Resource Central - Lou Ann Coyler Everybody Plays Update
- Tim’s Place Breakfast Lunch and Hugs
- KDADS outlines efforts to educate consumers about incorporating HCBS for individuals with I/DD into KanCare
- VFW Certificate of Patriotism awarded to SKIL's Coatney
- Alert - Scam potential
- Resource Central - Gwain January & Taxes 2014
- SKIL to administer Kansas Assisitive Technology Loan Program
- Waiting List Update - State reaches out to 650 people on waiting lists
- This Season, Shop for Your Health
- 2013 SKIL My Home for the Holiday photos
- Resource Central - SKIL Annual Christmas Dinner 2013
- From USICD: USICD Celebrates the International Day of Persons with Disabilities!
- Training Opportunity - Kansas Voices for Mental Health
- Area Resources
- Latest Kansas Youth Empowerment Academy Newsletter
- My Home for the Holidays
- From Friends of Man: Thanks
- Resource Central - A Talk with John George
- KDADS to host I/DD Friends and Family Tour Dec. 2-5
- Thanksgiving Holiday payroll information
- National Council on Disability to have quarterly meeting in Topeka Dec. 4-5
- 30-day comment period opens Nov. 19 for KanCare waiver
- HELP WANTED:
- Open enrollment starts for KanCare members
- Disability Mentoring Day 2013
- How to access the DSW Web Portal
- Resource Central - Kevin Olson's Book Signing
- From USICD: We need your help to get CRPD passed
- Medicaid Managed Care Forum to be presented in Topeka Dec. 5
- Medicare’s Open Enrollment period is Oct.15 - Dec. 7
- Self-employment for individuals with developmental disabilities the topic of workshop coming to Pittsburg State Nov. 13-15
- Farmers and ranchers survey aims to improve prostheses
- Kansas Youth Leadership Forum searching for applicants and volunteers
- Assistive Technology hosts open house for new location
- Resource Central - 9/11 Survivor Michael Hingson
- First Year Anniversary of the CRO of HOPE