Disability News /KLKC
Medicaid is on the table for arbitrary and draconian cuts. The disability and aging communities must show Congress that "My Medicaid Matters" by having thousands show up on Capitol Hill on September 21st for a "Rally for Real Medicaid Reform".
So far, EVERY plan to address entitlements has included cuts to Medicaid. NONE has included reform measures proposed by the disability rights community. Make YOUR voice heard in Washington! Join disability, aging and civil rights groups in Washington DC or in Parsons Kansas at 1801 Main, Wednesday September 21st starting at Noon. Rain or shine!
Location of the DC Rally
The rally is being held on the west side of Capitol Hill. Here is a link to an interactive map for the Rally and DC area. For those travelling into the rally, people can be dropped off:
- where First Street NW connects with Pennsylvannia Avenue NW or
- at First Street NW by the Capitol Reflecting Pool
For those that require a street address with a number, the US Botanic Gardens are nearby at 100 Maryland Ave SW. It's only a block from the rally site.
Support the Effort
Turnout for the rally is critically important so if you are on the east coast and can get to the rally, please get there.
For those coming to the rally, the rally organizers are asking that you take our message from the rally to the Congressional offices on the Hill. Please schedule hill visits starting at 3:30 PM. That will give you time to get up the hill and through security. When you call to schedule the visit, tell the scheduler that you are coming to DC for the My Medicaid Matters Rally and ask if the Senator or Representative will be speaking at it. Even if you can't get an appointment scheduled, please take our legislative materials and drop in for a short visit. Make sure the people who represent you know that Medicaid Matters to you!
Interested in attending, but not sure how to get to DC?
- Start by contacting state organizers to see if they can connect you with groups already coming to DC. There are buses coming in from all over the east coast.
- Try reaching out to your local organizations affiliated with the national sponsors. They might have groups coming to DC that you can join or they might help sponsor you going by providing gas money.
Can't Get to DC?
You can still support the My Medicaid Matters Rally even if you aren't in DC.
- Hold a Local My Medicaid Matters Rally! Get folks together in your community to hold grassroots My Medicaid Matters rally on September 21st. Check out our list of participating locations! The Ohio folks did an impressive job developing an organizing flyer. Check out the Ohio flyer with this link. Here's another cool promotional flyer from Los Angeles.
- Hold a Local My Medicaid Matters Press Conference or Other Event! Even if you can't organize a full rally, hold a press conference. For extra impact you can hold it in front of the office of a Super Committee member, you Senator or Representative. Or you can do one at the offices of a group that supports the cause. To put a face on the issue, just like we are doing at the rally, have people directly affected by Medicaid tell their story. No matter how you do it, we want people to know that My Medicaid Matters!
- Participate in the My Medicaid Matters Call In Day! We are organizing a national Call In Day targeting members of the Super Committee on September 21st. (Of course, you can contact them ahead of time.) We have divided up the Super Committee so that you can make two calls in less than five minutes to make a BIG difference. Not only can you call them toll-free, you can then send them faxes and emails right from the web! Go to the Call In Action Alert Page for more information.