Disability News /KLKC
Labette County, Ks – One of the KLKC internet listeners recently e-mailed Steve Lardy with a question about whether there were any food pantries in the community and asked if we would broadcast some public service announcements for the programs.
- The first call we made was to the Labette County Emergency Assistance Center at 301 North 30th in Parsons. Executive Director Lee Ann Spencer said people throughout Labette County can call 620-421-0700 from 10 a.m. until noon and from 1-3 p.m. Monday through Thursday to schedule an appointment for the food pantry which is limited to 3 or 4 times per year per family. Those needing financial assistance can call the same number to make an appointment. Personnel at the office spend the rest of the time with clients.
- LAC distributes commodities about seven times a year and provides resource referrals for other needs in the community. Spencer also gave us contact information for a number of other food pantries that are affiliated primarily with churches in Labette County.
- The Church of the Nazarene, located in the old Wal-Mart Building at 310 Main distributes what has been donated from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. every Tuesday.
- Families near Labette City who are in need or who have experienced an emergency can call Center Bethel Church at 421-2333. The church is located at 1699 18-thousand Road.
- Families who live in or near Mound Valley who meet guidelines for free or reduced lunches through the school system are eligible to receive groceries that are distributed through the Mound Valley Methodist Church from 6:00 – 6:30 p.m. on the first Thursday of the month. For an application call Jeannie Fiscus at 620-328-4036.
- Pastor Steve O’Brien said the Assembly of God Church in Oswego is associated with the Food Bank of Kansas. The fully stocked pantry at 1323 4th Street is open from 2-4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. People experiencing an emergency can call the church at 620-795-2307. There are no income guidelines to participate in the Food Pantry and everyone is invited to community dinners held at 6:00 p.m. Wednesdays prior to kid and youth services. O’Brien said the church in Oswego also keeps a supply of personal hygiene supplies such as tooth brushes, toothpaste, formula and diapers.
- A voice message at the Four Square Church Food Bank in Parsons, 423-3004 said hours are 1-4 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.
- There are a couple of other food pantries in Labette County, but we have not yet heard back on guidelines or dates of distribution.